TORCH Program for Women Leaders
What is the TORCH Program?
The TORCH Program is a course for women who work in the non-profit/voluntary sector and have an interest in developing their leadership and management skills. Preference will be given to women working in organizations that support the improvement of the status of women.
In developing the TORCH Program, our research was clear that there was a need for leadership development training and supports for women involved in the non-profit sector. TORCH proposes to help meet those needs through a course designed specifically to meet the challenges and learning gaps for women who want to develop their careers in non-profits. The ideal participant in this course is someone with some work experience in non-profits who intends to further develop their management and leadership skills in the sector. Preference will be given to emerging leaders.
The TORCH Program includes very practical advice for managing a non-profit organization as well as both guided and self-directed opportunities to explore and develop as a community leader. The pilot course will be offered with full scholarships for every participant with funding provided by the PEI Interministerial Women's Secretariat.
Applications are open to all women residents of PEI, with preference given to those working in women's organizations. Some travel/childcare subsidy will be available to participants.
Themes Covered by TORCH Program
The course will cover the following themes:
- Identifying your strengths — understanding your personal values, your personality traits and how you apply them in your work
- Finding and understanding your management style
- Foundations of non-profit management — Understanding accountability and governance models, working for and with a Board of Directors, being mission/mandate driven, measuring performance
- Show me the money — Proposal writing fundamentals, tips and tricks, managing budgets, audits, and how to understand and use financial statements
- Networking, relationship building, building collaboration into your partnerships, understanding funder needs and priorities
- Communications skills — Public relations, media relations, effective written and verbal communication, social media dos and don'ts
- Conflict resolution skills — your conflict style, intro to interest-based conflict resolution
- Working with other groups — how to build collaborative partnerships, understanding and working with power imbalances and competing interests, sharing power/sharing responsibilities
- Dealing with stress and difficulty — strategies for overcoming and riding-out troubling times, scarcity, and unstable funding environments
- Building your personal power circle/wolf pack
- Work/life blends and balancing acts — death by "yes", avoiding burn-out, dealing with vicarious trauma, surviving your own/others' expectations, and establishing personal priorities/goals for self care
- Developing a gender and diversity lens in your work
- Strategic planning in a non-profit environment
- How to become a game-changer — Building on your leadership potential (action planning and goal-setting)
- Celebration and Presenting Action Plan
To learn more about Women's Network PEI, please browse our website.